Wednesday, December 31, 2008

My Political views

I write this blog as self-medication (and also, hoping it makes some people feel comfortable that they are not alone) for the disaster I see my country going through and all because of what these “leaders” claim to be doing the hard work when a lot more can be done. 2008 was a very bad year for Zambia. We lost our president and a lot of things were brought out about the “successes” that the MMD has achieved. On the other side, a lot of failures were highlighted. What I liked about the two was the evidence and alternatives which were offered on how this country can be moved forward. I thought the elections would bring a better way of dealing with our country's problems, but we merely wasted money in holding the elections as what was being said was just lip-service and the Mwanawasa legacy preached about was actually two sides and only one in being implemented.

"Mwanawasa Legacy"
Mwanawasa did two things for the country (as far as I'm concerned): 
a) Fight Against Corruption: He proved that he was a strong man of values and took on corruption of former leaders and made them feel the law. 
b) Ignored Poverty: He did not bridge the gap between the rich and the poor and had over 70% of the people living in poverty.

The rest of the stories are things he worked on, which were started by either Kaunda or Chiluba so I can't dwell on them. So the legacy he left can only be one of the two. Poverty or fighting corruption. Presidential candidates were all promising to continue his legacy and I was not happy as they did not highlight which legacy they would follow. RB took over poor and I'm a sad man, as I expected, he took the legacy I wanted to get rid of. So we have poverty levels being unaffected and the fight against corruption will soon slowly head towards a stop. A disaster at any level for me!

My wish was to have a leader to tackle the poverty situation of the people and not enrich the rich few few at the expense of national development. All hope I had disappeared with RB coming into office. The man has no vision, no fight, no stance and a mere figure in state house. What has he got to offer the people? What has done for the country? He can't claim or boast about reduction in fuel pump prices. We are still the most expensive in the region. The drop in prices is but a global issue not his works! Has done nothing that he would claim he reduced the prices? There is a mine disaster right now, and he saw it fit to then take his clan for a holiday on government money? Is this the type of leadership we wanted? Will this solve our problems? Will this move the national? Will anyone apart from his clan benefit from his holiday?

My hope keeps being killed even with a simple change in daylight, I realize I'm still in a nightmare. It's like we have a government which aims at making sure people are not happy, can't celebrate anything and to live miserably!

Until I run out of words or something good comes out of my dear country, I will have to self-medicate through the internet whenever I can. I hope my busy life will have to fit in some-how.

This is the year that saw the birth of my dying hope. I hope to have a chance to bring back that hope that I have lost.

No comments: