Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Dying Hope Of A Zambian

Hope is the only thing good that my country has. We hope for a good future for ourselves, we hope for a good future for our children, we hope for good leadership, we hope for hope ... that we hope to have.
Shameless, even the little choice we have in our own desire, is slowly taken away. Hope... is taken away slowly. These are my dying hope pages which reflect the little ideas of a dying hope for my beloved country. I never left the country to get money or to find a better job, I left to find hope. Hope that died in my country. Died with all that I at one time owned.
I love my Zambia. I have everything that can be Zambian from my simplest accent, to the silly ideas about my country and the peacefulness that has been taken for granted. But I have failed to live in a country which has been robbed of everything including a choice to choose what one wants. Everything is abuse about my country. Abuse of peace, abuse of electoral system, abuse of people, abuse of national wealth for personal gains, abuse of human rights, abuse of constitution and its making process, abuse of citizens, abuse of the system, and abuse all that I can think of.
My president, I'm one of the few citizens of any country that would say that and not feel proud that you are the leader. Why? No one of us feel you deserve to be our leader. Not because you don't qualify, or worth the praise, but because we feel you were imposed upon us by your system. Its this sad truth about Zambia and its leadership. We probably are one of the few people in the world that never celebrate a president taking office because, he probably would be rushed through to avoid any one questioning and proving you are not worth being one because the system was forced upon us. We feel proud to greet opposition leadership as they have been accept by us. They are not one of the imposed people. Even a simple man would be respected by people, but my president will not earn the respect but be forced to respect, which, of course means respect is not there. So maybe it is not your doing that puts you in that situation, but thats me trying very hard to think you are worth every power that you command. Its sad that actually, it may be just a sad story.
Sata has all that we want from him, he is not imposed upon us. We have learnt to deal with his short-comings, and he will have all that a leader, a king can have. He will be mourned by his greatest by being with the people. He will be praised whole heartedly and not for political capital, I'm sorry, but his a greater man for being for the people. And thats the difference with him and any of the leaders we see in your government.
We know and saw how people with corrupt tendencies were celebrating your victory. And we mourned. We mourned how their pending cases will soon start to be thrown out of court. We hoped the justice system would save mother Zambia, but we know how many judges dance to the government tune at many occasions. We have none to save us. The late president did his best, much as it was not enough for some of us because of the way it was done and how he himself got his family in the system, he had no base to stand on, because partly we felt he too was imposed upon us. We mourned his death because we realized that no matter how tough things were for him, he stood for something and died for his country. We were more saddened by the way the party fought to take his position. How many people were bribed to get ones way. Even the opposition behaved much more honorably by leaving politics aside till the man was buried, his friends didn't think of that. The same people that he tried to get out of the system, came to celebrate your victory as they will now have a greater share of the cake. They will soon be ready to serve you so you can celebrate your victory for many more years to come.
We will continue to suffer toil the land and hope.... hope when we vote again, no one will speak for us by choosing what they want from what we want. Mum gave me best leasons in life. The few that I can talk about here are:
what goes around, comes around.
If one wants something, don't deny them, only they know the true value of it.
We know what we want and wanted, we were denied by those who think are masters over the other people.
I know that mourning saves me no purpose, but it makes like bearable to realize the pain I go through for what I believe is worth much more. I have never been in government for reasons that it never seems to serve anyone but the people in it. If it were close to what I think is an ideal government, I would be one of the few people staying away from campaigns to get people elected. But now, I can only encourage people to vote in the hope... hope that one day, our vote will truly matter.
Our government has such short comings, we should be praised for being cheated that it can server us, praised for even paying tax to finance other people's desires and dreams.

POLICE:
Unappreciated, lowly paid and corrupt profession that it has come to be. And yet in most cases, only used to defend a leader's desires and not to keep all citizens protected. It is equated to king's guards and tax collectors of history. Maybe we should take time to see what these great men and women exist for:

ARMY:
Only your time have I see an army cheapened to the level of keeping protestors in check. Were on earth can an army be put on alert to counter protesting people- ZAMBIA. Such an insult to the an arm which was so respected by all people, but has come to stand and defend only selected few. God forbid what they would do if there was an attack by enemies of the country. They probably would want to beat them and throw tear-gas on them!

INTELLIGENCE SERVICE:
Its an ironical that such a name exists for this group of people. I prefer OP as it clearly shows they can serve one person and injury whoever wants to stand in the way of that person. If really intelligence was the order of the day, this group would be the most useful in the country setup to sort out anything that seems to be distractor to the country. But they are for witch-hunting on the citizens. I pray, my blog wont be my death sentence as I can't even express these thoughts without looking over my shoulder. And we are called a democratic country. I think we need to redefine the word.
But these are mere thoughts of mine, on my blog. Intended to bring peace to my mind for expressing what I feel.

No comments: