Tuesday, September 1, 2009

My Definition of Primitivity

I have always wondered why we are looked upon as being primitive and I mistakenly thought it was something to do with our thinking. I was wrong, we are think the same regardless of where you come from.

The biggest problem with developing worlds is not the people or the ideas, its the leadership. But what shocks me the most, is the lack of impact on the same leaders by the masses. Why would you, the majority of the people fail to make leaders do what you want? The developed world have realized that it does not matter what the few want, but what the masses want is superior. In developing world this is so simple. In developing world, it has to match with the same unhelpful leaders!

So we find ourselves fighting on the constitution - not because we don't know how to make one, but because leaders still want loop-holes that they can manipulate to suit their selfish desires. Why not make things normal and the way it should be? Zambia is slowly trying to get its constitution and one that will look after the people, but this is many years after independence - or whatever you want to call it. How has MMD taken this as their own baby and the whole country should wait for what they (MMD) decide! - My one cry for Mwanawasa. He had the time to make things simple and straight forward, he left us in more mess than anyone else.

We are a country that has leaders signing - Ministers can disregard advise from legal people, But the one seeking justice for the people can be fired for disregarding advise. Maybe we should change words here and say what government wants makes all advise commands if they will serve MMD and the rest - useless talk! What type of a country is this? Do we need 7 years to come up with a fake judgement while people have gotten monies for the court case?

I think the legal institutions in this country are the worst on the planet. Lawyers in Zambia have and some are slowly becoming day light thieves! A few noble men stand in the midst of corrupt and ill-educated ones. Not a situation that would be considered good. And one that will not make Zambia a good place but a thieves den! We need to bring sanity and noble men to the legal institutions of this country. We can't expect economist like (www.zambian-economist.com) to do the legal justice in the country - hope he wont be sighted for contempt also. I feel for the people who are trying to make a difference to the country. They are either found with a case to answer or a crime created for them like the Post journalists. No matter what we lose, let us remain a people who understand the liberty of speech and in this case, a liberty of blogging. I can't reveal my name on a blog and probably will never be credited with my thoughts because every time I sit down to write, I must think of who will be employed to track me down, who will be given a task to find me, whose been given a bandwidth in Zambia to trace my existence. I'm luck I can rely on my service provider in this foreign country to protect me, I don't think the same applies to all my Zambian brothers in Zambia!

The world just looks on with little regard to how the simple government of this African country continues to rig elections, rig the constitution, silence journalist, keep NGOs in check and oppress the people who have different views to what they (small group of leaders) want. Then when the situation gets so bad and reach the level of Zimbabwe, they will pretend to act for the people. Where have you been all this time? The people are supposed to be protected by the world bodies be it media organization to force oppression of journalist and kangaroo court sessions on matters which are trivial and straight forward. We are not asking for military intervention, we are asking for accountability and rule of law. The basics of life - that's all!

Help us out of this primitiveness before you start pretending to care!

No comments: